Construction, renovation, demolition

A permit is required for any building construction, demolition or modification (interior or exterior), for the addition of ancillary installations, or for exterior work.

You can apply for a permit online. The process allows for the payment of fees and, for certain types of permits, to receive it almost instantaneously. This is the case, for example, for the installation of a shed, a swimming pool or a balcony, as well as for interior renovations, exterior repairs and the addition of accessory equipment, such as a filter, heat pump or gas tank.

It is also possible to come to the Direction de l'aménagement et de l'urbanisme with, among other things, 2 copies of your certificate of location and site plans with the layout.


Through its boroughs, Ville de Longueuil offers various renovation programs which provide financial assistance to owners of certain buildings. Find out by contacting the Direction de l'aménagement et de l'urbanisme.

Vieux-Longueuil's heritage area

A permit is mandatory.

Any owner who wants to make changes to the exterior appearance of a building located in Vieux-Longueuil's heritage area (Site patrimonial cité du Vieux-Longueuil) must apply for a permit or an authorization certificate at the Direction de l'aménagement et de l'urbanisme before proceeding.

All applications are reviewed and, depending on the nature of the proposed work, they are subsequently submitted to the Conseil local du patrimoine which then makes its recommendations to the the City Council.

See the Vieux-Longueuil heritage area map.

Information: Conseil local du patrimoine, Direction de l'aménagement et de l'urbanisme

Housing assistance programs

Ville de Longueuil acts as a partner with, or representative for, the Société d'habitation du Québec for the application of many housing assistance programs that have been set up by the Société. By actively participating in these programs, Ville de Longueuil is working to improve the quality of life for its residents through the provision of social housing and affordable housing, renovation assistance, home conversions to meet the needs of handicapped people and independent senior residents, and by offering assistance to home owners who are affected by certain construction problems. Depending on the programs, this help is offered under different forms such as subsidies.

Please consult the Housing assistance programs section for more information.